Yesterday my mom and I got to spend several hours doing girly things together, starting with hair and makeup. For some reason, it can start to feel like a chore to do it myself every morning. So, when my mom or a friend decides to make me over, I'm more than happy to oblige. And I'm also reminded me why I put effort into my appearance in the first place...
Because it's fun. Because it makes me feel like a teenage girl. Because it helps me see how I am becoming a woman. It's a confidence boost and a pick-me-up, and while it's certainly not the end-all-be-all of life, I love that I get to do it. It's also nice to think that one day, if/when I have a daughter, I'll get to show her how to put on mascara for the first time... how to curl her hair without creasing it... and how to how to shop and have fun without spending a fortune.
But even if that never happens, I'm so thankful that I have shared those experiences with my mom. In a world desperately in need of female role models, she is mine. Not every girl is so lucky, and I'm learning to never take her for granted.
xoxo,
Ireland

Wish I had had that with MY daughter. Enjoy it. It will last a life time
ReplyDeleteI will.
DeleteAnd what a beautiful, strong and kind young woman you are becoming.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed time with your mom! :) Doing makeup with your mom or a friend is a fun bonding time for sure.
ReplyDeleteYou are quite a writer, so glad you appreciate your mom, as she is really fun and someone who can save you a lot of heartache if you learn from her life experiences. I have truly enjoyed having her as a friend.
ReplyDeleteElla
Ireland, As a cosmetologist I truly agree with you about how much fun it is to fix our hair, do makeup, wear pretty clothes. It does give us a lift and put a spring in our step. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you have such a wonderful role model in your mother. Keep writing for I enjoy reading your posts.